In a world that loves to talk, do, achieve, promote, preach, sell....what does it mean to connect, be, and listen. A podcast about #humanconnection #mentalhealth #socialhealth #empathy #belonging and #loneliness. And always thinking about justice and inclusion in all things. Join us. And share far and wide. Or start your own chapter of Sidewalk Talk in your community. www.sidewalk-talk.org
Tuesday Feb 21, 2023
Tuesday Feb 21, 2023
Dr. Tracy Brower is a PhD sociologist and vice president of workplace insights for Steelcase. She is the author of The Secrets to Happiness at Work and Bring Work to Life, as well as a contributor to Forbes.com and Fast Company.
Traci and Tracy sort through information on workplace happiness and how the workplace meets important needs in our lives for happiness, meaning, and belonging. Not everyone wants to be friends with their co-workers but we do get an important sense of identity and belonging from our work that cannot be overlooked.
- [00:09] Intro
- [0:58] Meet Tracy
- [4:19] Human connection and feeling of community is critical for our work.
- [7:19] The workplace is an important place of stability and identity that is important to our well-being.
- [14:19] Comparison goals like wealth and status don’t lead to happiness.
- [17:08] List of the top 5 happiness producers in our lives.
- [25:08] What leads to workplace burnout?
- [34:27] Friendship, friendliness, and trust in our workplace relationships.
- [43:06] Closing
- [43:32] Outro
The Secrets to Happiness At Work (Book)
Bring Work to Life (Book)
- the thing that I'm thinking about work is just how critical it is that we appreciate it as part of a full life, not the only part of our life, but part of a full life.” (Tracy)
- I think we can get into this almost like a vicious cycle of I don't feel connected, I don't feel as valued, therefore, I don't connect as much, and I don't feel as valued.” (Tracy)
- “Whenever we get our roots disconnected from our community, we have a psychological reaction to that from a deep attachment place, from a psychological place in us. For some of us, what happens is we do have to find a villain in that narrative.” (Traci)
- “One of the things that's correlated with happiness is focusing on the community, focusing on what I'm giving. More generosity is correlated with happiness, and more self-focus is negatively correlated with happiness.” (Tracy)
- Sometimes we think of purpose with a capital P, and if I'm not changing the world. But really, it's just the thing that we do well. We wake up in the morning and do well for the people that we care about and for our work community and our broader community.” (Tracy)
- Usually, the best team bonding happens through task where we're rolling up our sleeves together and working on a new initiative or solving a problem.” (Tracy)
Find | Sidewalk Talk
On Instagram: @sidewalktalkorg
On Twitter: @sidewalktalkorg
Find | Traci Ruble
On Instagram: @TraciRubleMFT
On Twitter: @TraciRubleMFT
On Facebook: @TraciRubleMFT
Find | Dr. Tracy Brower
On Instagram: @tlb108
On LinkedIn: @tracybrowerphd
On Twitter: @tracybrower108
SUBSCRIBE TO THIS PODCAST
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.